Urinalysis report showed little increase in WBC. Cause of concern?

Dr. Avinash Ignatius

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I have a Urinalysis report that shows my WBC at 68, then the normal range between 1 and 4. Could that be right???!!! I don't feel sick at all. I was just getting the labwork done for an upcoming ankle surgery. (My ankle has been swollen and hurt for over a year.)
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Your urine report shows a little increase in WBCs probably due to a mild infection, as your urine report also shows some organisms.

However you don't have to worry as sometimes mild infection do happen without symptoms and normally get cleared by our immune system.

Since your repeat urine shows only 1-2 cells, do not be concerned unless you have repeated symptoms of burning in the urine or discomfort.

All the best for your upcoming surgery.

Warm regards