Urinalysis microscopic RBC 3-5 HPF and WBC 0-2 HPF. What does the value mean?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Urinalysis Microscopic RBC 3-5 HPF and WBC 0-2 HPF mean?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Normally our urine which is filtered through kidneys should not contain cells ( components like white blood cells(WBC) , red blood cells ( rbc) etc) which are normally seen in blood .
If there are WBC and rbc present in urine as seen in a high power field (hpf) of a microscope then it's reported as above.
0-2 WBC might be considered normal too if there is no other positive findings or symptoms .But presence of Rbc as in your case is usually due to presence of inflammation or a mild affliction of urinary bladder or kidneys like stones .
To confirm the diagnosis a thorough evaluation by your doctor is necessary and if needed additional tests like urine culture , renal profile may be ordered.
Please do not worry , since any report always has to be corroborated with clinical findings before labeling it as abnormal .
So you might be absolutely normal, healthy but just having a mild urinary infection or inflammation causing such report.
It can easily be treated with oral medications once the diagnosis is confirmed.
So please consult your doctor for appropriate follow up investigation and management.
Meanwhile you should drink plenty of water for a faster and complete recovery of a normal urinary picture.
Hope I have answered your query .
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries .