Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Upper stomach pain. Colitis found in colonoscopy. Done Prometheus test, endoscopy. Found IBS, hernia and fibroids. Treatment options?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3762 Questions
I have severe upper stomache pain when I eat and don't eat etc. I have been basically been sick for over 2 months to the point of not leaving my house. I have had every test done except for a CT scan. One doctor said I have crohns who did a colonoscopy , finding came back focal colitis . I hade a promethisius test done came back positive as well as a MRI . I went to a well known doctor who did a camera endoscopy as well as a barium test and said I don't have crohns and I have IBS. I don't know what to do or what to what to think. I am a mother of two and so very sick. The report also stated that I have a hernia and fibroids but they said nothing to worry about. Again from prior history that is not their speciality. Please help
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand the pain you are going through. Following are my differential diagnosis & advice for you:

- Hyperacidity & Gastritis: Since the upper GI endoscopy & lower GI endoscopy have come to a conclusion of no gastritis or hyperacidity, it is ruled out. like this in many patients. I think the physician who had diagnosed IBS would have put you on medications.

- Hernia: It is protrusion of organs (generally intestines) through the abdominal wall. If untreated, the intestine trapped in the hernia will lead to strangulation and pain. Hence my advice would be to get examined by a surgeon to assess the type & degree of hernia. Surgeon will check if there is strangulation. It might lead to later complication of gangrene of intestine. So please consult a surgeon for hernia.

- Fibroid uterus: Fibroid uterus also presents in this way. Fibroids can be very painful and excess menstrual flow in some people. Ovarian cysts or chronic torsion of ovary may also lead to this condition. Hence consult a gynecologist to assess the extent, type and effect of fibroid and its relation to your pain.

So please consult a surgeon & Gynecologist. I believe your problem will be solved with them.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor