Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Upper implantation, bone graft done. Have moved my sinus. Experiencing pain in eye and teeth. Normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 458 Questions
I had 4 upper implants done about month in a half, bone graft and he moved my sinus. Since then I have been getting a severe burning pain in my eyes/pains in the ear and now I have been getting pain in my teeth on the other side of my mouth. This is the only side I have left to eat now so today I went in cause the pain is unbearable and all he is saying is an infection under the bone and to just go home and take an antibiotic it will stop the pain. Is this normal with the eyes burning and having pain and infection in other parts of the mouth
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 5 hours later
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Surgery for implantation of upper teeth along with bone graft will usually reduce the size (space) of the sinus. Concurrently, sinus infection is probable if antibiotics are insufficient (inadequate antibiotic coverage).

Besides, any major surgery in oral cavity or sinus can result in pain in the ear on the same side (referred otalgia) and also watering of the eyes due to inflammation of nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) that opens into the nose.

Pain in the opposite side of the teeth is usually due to hypersensitivity following a surgery in the oral cavity. This will subside in course of time (in 2 weeks). Your Doctor is right in advising you to continue the antibiotic. Anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen will give additional benefit.

For severe pain, Tramadol injection will help. Your treating Doctor will know about this drug. Do not take Tramadol without consulting your treating Doctor. Check X-Ray will reveal if the implants are properly positioned. It will also reveal the status of the sinus cavity.

I hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor