Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Upper back hurts while doing push ups. What could be wrong?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
hello i am an athlete I play in college and I am getting ready for my spring season. When I do push ups my upper back hurts specifically just behind my right shoulder blade. When i breath deeply my upper back tends to crack. Do you know what it might be? what can I do to fix this problem? excersizes. or specialists I can visit
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Trapezius muscles strain. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query I have read your query in detail. The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of trapezius muscles strain. Any strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain. I advice you to follow the below mentioned guidelines - * Give adequate rest to the involved muscle group and avoid any movement that causes pain *Ice packing once in every 2 hours over the affected area *Use analgesic anti-inflammatory medications like Advil or Aleve to reduce the pain and inflammation. *Once the severity of pain decreases, Gradual and mild stretching activities are begun along with Moist heat fomentation of the painful area so as to increase the blood supply to the underlying muscles and also the relax them. Gentle massaging of the painful area with pain killer creams may also help. If your symptoms are not getting better with the above measures, I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.If you have no further query, please close the discussion and give your review.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor