Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Upper abdominal pain after eating. Help

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 660 Questions
i get bad pain in my upper abdomen near my ribcage that wakes me up early in the morning around 5 or 6, before i go to sleep, and usually after i eat. this pain feels like cramps but the only other way i know how to describe it is contractions because theyre consistant one comes for 10 seconds then goes away for like 30 seconds and it repeats for an hour the top of my abdomen is also bloated 2 inches above what it normally is which is wierd cause im not eating as much. the pain is the worst when i wake up because it wakes me up and nothing makes it go away until it finally just stops
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 55 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Your history of pain is very much suggestive of duodenal ulcer pain, which is aggravated after eating. Thanks for giving such detailed history of pain. I think you should consult a gastroenterologist. You need to have an upper G.I. endoscopic examination to look for duodenal and gastric ulcer or mucosal erosions. If ulcer found then better to go for a biopsy from the ulcer edge and the rapid urease test to exclude helicobacter pylori test.

In the meanwhile, you will be benefit by following my advice:

1. Don’t have any kind of spicy food,
2. Avoid smoking and alcohol,
3. Food in small quantity and much more frequently i.e. every two hours is needed,
4. Take plenty of water,
5. Take pantoprazole group of drugs in empty stomach in early morning.

You must consult the gastroenterologist and take his opinion.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you have further queries, you may ask me freely.

Wishing you quick recovery.

Dr Arnab Maji
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor