Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Unusual parasite that causes itching, pain and is contagious. Turns to ulcers and hair looking fibers. Morgellons?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My sister picked up some kind of unusual parasite while in Florida. It was passed to her other three sisters, her three brother in laws and her husband. I am one of her sisters. We feel it was passed through hugging. So far the medical field has not been much help and quick to call mental. We are afraid it is Morgellons, as it similar.
We definitely do have a bug which depending on what stage, bits, stings, and causes a XXXXXXX tissue itch. We have bites that turn into little ulcers before they heal up. We shedd lint looking bugs and fiber, fibers and hair looking fibers that come up through the skin sideways, biege larvae, black, red and little glitter spects.

Where can we find help?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

Your sister and you seem to have symptoms that resemble Morgellons.
Actually it is an unknown organism causing skin infection, some term it as parasite some as atypical fungal or bacterial organism.

The entire medical fraternity is not equivocal about the diagnosis and treatment of morgellons and till now it is being termed as a delusional parasitosis and treated by psychiatrists accordingly.

But there are many tests and treatment strategies under research and you may find useful information and help on sites like

You may consult a dermatologist or infectious disease specialist for ruling out other parasitosis but the fact is that many or most doctors are not aware or trained to treat morgellons, infact the
exact treatment is not discovered yet and any claims by alternative medicines can't be guaranteed.
So do discuss it with your doctor.

He might give you a trial of the current antibiotics, antifungal or herbal medications used for
treatment. I am sorry but unfortunately I can't assure you a particular treatment or guide you to any particular doctor, as there aren't any certified treatments or doctors for the particular condition. The best would be to consult an experienced dermatologist or infectious disease specialist.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wishing you all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Unusual parasite that causes itching, pain and is contagious. Turns to ulcers and hair looking fibers. Morgellons? 10 hours later
Thank you!

What you have described is what we have experienced.

Do you know anywhere they are currently treating or doing research in the WA, OR area?

Do you know how contagious it is?
Thanks again, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

I am sorry but I personally do not know any such treating or researching institute in your vicinity.

But yes morgellons is reported to be contagious infact a person or vectors carrying its fibres can infect the entire family including children, friends, neighbors.

For a detailed information on acquiring help or support in your vicinity please visit any of the support sites like WWW.WWWW.WW or the ones I mentioned in my previous reply.

Its difficult to explain all aspects of this problem and the exhaustive list of treatment options under trial in my reply. Kindly go through the information on the mentioned sites.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Wishing you all good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor