Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Unprotected sex,negative STD test,bump on vagina,pimple,pus

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
Dear Doctor,

I am 34 year old female and recently my boyfriend and I had STD tests so that we could begin having sex without condoms. Both tests were clear. But at the beginning of this week, I got a bump on the inside on my vagina, near the clitoris. It looks like a pimple and when squeezed, pus comes out. It doesnt look like any of the online pictures of STD's and I have no other symptoms, not irregular discharge or anything like that. I had something like this once before when I was not sexually active, but it was on the outer lip of my vagina, not inside. What could it be?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
Hello Doyle,

Thanks for the query.

From the description the bump could be one of the following:-

1. Cyst arising from the sebaceous glands or
2. Cysts from the mucus glands situated in and around the vagina.
3. Benign infection of the hair follicles around the vaginal orifice.

Such bumps occur due to occlusion of the gland or hair follicle opening and usually enlarge slowly over time. At a certain stage, they open up and discharge the collected secretions and then resolve on their own.

Since the bump has opened up and has discharged its contents it should resolve on its own within a few days and subside completely. You need not worry about any STD.

If you are too much concerned about their presence then you can consult a gynecologist who can examine it and remove it completely with a small procedure.

In some cases, when the bumps get infected, they can cause pain and purulent discharge and may need a course of antibiotics for a few days.

I hope this helps to answer your question effectively.

Please feel free to write back again if you have additional queries.


Dr. Anvekar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor