Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Unprotected sex, have delay in periods. Do not want pregnancy. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12678 Questions
hello I had unprotected sex with my boy friend April 7, I usually get my period about 28 of every month and I dont want to get pregnant. Please what typy of medicine will i need?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Since your periods were expected on April 28th and there are no periods till now, the chances of pregnancy are there. You need to test your urine with a highly sensitive pregnancy test kit available over the counter at all the pharmacies.
If the test comes positive ( two lines) then you will need to terminate the pregnancy.
If the pregnancy is less than 7 weeks, medicines to abort pregnancy are preferred as the success rate is nearly 95%. Side effects include gastritis, diarrhea, vomiting, headache, etc. Medical abortion medicines have no effect on future child bearing. If the abortion is incomplete by medicines or if excessive bleeding occurs than need for surgical cleaning of uterus arises.
You can consult a gynecologist immediately who will do a serum beta hcg test (more specific than urine test) and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy.

If pregnancy is ruled out and periods don’t come then the other causes may include hormonal imbalance or other medical conditions that affect the ovaries, uterus, hypothalamus, or pituitary gland.
All of these can be treated with suitable medicines.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor