Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Unprotected sex, bump in pubic area, bleeding, painful, not itching. Is it molluscum contagiosum or herpes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 520 Questions
Hi, I am from the US and traveling abroad. I am 27 years old, male. I have been to 3 doctors in the country I am at now (small third world country) all of which have said different answers (will share at their answers further in my description below). I had sex without protection about 5 months ago, weeks after I noticed a bump in my pubic hair area almost like a small pimple but with a hard white substance inside. I removed it manually which left a crater like hole which bled a lot. After removing the initial bump a couple more grow in the similar area (pubic hair above the penis). I removed one or two and left the others as they appeared. More seemed to appear throughout the coming months, i stopped removing the bumps physically (which hurt and bleed a lot). Now new bumps continued to appear and remain when not removed (the bumps will not disappear or break and heal on their own). After 3 months the bumps had spread to my inner thighs ( numerous on both legs, just on either side of the testicles) and now penis shaft (2) and testicles (several). When left alone over time, the bumps change from a small (1-2MM in height) round, hard feeling bump then later to an enlarged looking irritated pimple red color and red sides, the bumps then regress to their original size and shape. When enlarged they are sensitive to the touch almost like an infected pimple, however the substance inside remains hard. The bumps have not broken open on their own, they increase to a large irritated pimple than decrease down to the original 1-2 mm +/- sized skin colored/pinkish growth. They have not itched on their own when left alone (only itched during the use of topical cream tretinion)

The first doctor I went to (in month 1) said I had Molluscum Contagiosum and prescribed cream for acne which did not work, growths continued to appear, the doctor recommend removing them physcially myself. the second doctor in month 3, said I had herpes, I used cream and took oral bills such as valtrax (for 10 days) and then another generic drug similar to valtrax (14 days) which only yielded results of all of the bumps increasing in size and turning redder at the same time , then decreasing down to the original small growth (similar effect as the topical cream tretinion had). The third doctor has said Molluscum Contagiosum as well and suggests removing them physically myself and continue the using topical creams and a oral pill cimetidina 400mg.
Obviously I have many concerns, one is that more bumps are appearing each week. I am looking for very much appreciated medical guidance, I am willing to take a close up picture of the bumps and email if needed. Please advise.

I am a little frustrated and very worried as I am not planning on coming back to the US for several months and can’t seem to find good medical attention where I am at.

Thank you very much in advance for your help,
Very concerned
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

While reading your query , Molluscum Contagiosum was the only thing that came to my mind.
This is certainly nor herpes.

The best treatment is removal of individual lesions through chemical cautery. This treatments works very well.

A good close up picture will be very much appreciated. you may attach a pic using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-left hand side.

Just to tell you more about this problem-
it is a viral infection. Trasmission is mostly sexual. Not a serious problem in itself.

Treatment is cautery of individual lesions. Sometimes, lesions regress on their own (as body develops immunity against them).

As you may have acquired one STI, it is always recommended to get yourself screened for HIV, Hepatitis B and C (just as a part of medical protocol).

Awaiting the pic.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Unprotected sex, bump in pubic area, bleeding, painful, not itching. Is it molluscum contagiosum or herpes? 8 hours later
Thank you very much for your quick response to my question. I will be sending a photo of the infected area as soon as I can get my camera and computer to communicate with each other, thus far unsuccessful. I have a couple of follow-up questions assuming it is Molluscum Contagiosum : (1) what is the best way to prevent spreading of infected areas? -is there a product that you recommend- (2) I will research more the availability of chemical cautery where I am, however, if that is not an option is there a topical cream or product and/or set of products you recommend that yield quick results? I mentioned I had used Tretinion/Retin-A .05% topical cream.

Again, Thank you very much for your time.
very concerned
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 11 hours later
I am afraid there are no creams which are effectiive.
Tretinoin is the best bet among creams which you have already tried.

To prevent further increase, treatment of the existing lesions is the only solution as lesions spread from one another
No oral medication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor