Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Unprotected sex. Later had swollen lymph nodes in armpits, neck area, upper ear. HIV? Or due to stress?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 304 Questions
Dear Doc,
About 2 months ago I had unprotected sex with a FSW in the phillipines, not to sound degraded, however we were in the ocean when we had intercourse. I didn't think to ask about her health status until afterwards. She joked around and told me she had HIV, but then told me she is checked on weekly basis for STD's, and STI's. I have been experiencing swollen lymph node(s) starting in my groin, a week later near the right side of my chest, and a week later in both armpits, and last week my neck and now recently behind the top side of the right ear. Some are tender, hard, and uncomfortable, I have poked at them due to anxiety. I am very stressed out. about a month ago I had tests for the Clap, Gonorreha, Hep C, Syphillis, a cbc. All came back negative, and my cbc came back normal. Could this be from HIV? I am waiting to test after this month for HIV. My other questions are that from my stress and anxiety, could that have caused the swelling? I have lost my appetite some days either due to stressing about this, or if I do have the virus. I am getting 5 to 7 hrs of sleep I'm 22, Male, and very physically fit. Another thing I have thought about is could it be from traveling from country to country?
Correction, 1st symptom started about 3 weeks after that night. Everything following as i stated.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.
You are having Generalized Lymphadenopathy.
I am sorry to say that this may not be due to stress or anxiety and also not because of your frequent travelling (provided you don’t encounter any infectious disease during your visits).
This has to be thoroughly investigated and examined in detail by a physician.
There are many causes of generalized lymphadenopathy apart from sexually transmitted diseases or HIV, and most of them are treatable.
Blood tests for HIV take some time to become positive in blood. If you want to go for early detection of HIV, you have to get tested for p24 Ag in blood for HIV or get a viral culture for HIV done.
I would suggest that you get yourself examined and tested.
I wish you a speedy recovery.

Please do accept my reply if you have no follow up queries.

Best regards
Dr Rohit Batra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Unprotected sex. Later had swollen lymph nodes in armpits, neck area, upper ear. HIV? Or due to stress? 15 hours later
I understand that, what I would like to know is how common or I guess what are the statistics for heterosexual males to catch HIV from a female, and if my symptoms are like it would be from HIV? Basically I'm asking someone who is a specialist, what are my odds, its too late for a anitgen test, its been 2 months. I'm waiting for my 3 month to test, however I am obsessing over this to a point I'm exhausting myself. I will test in about 3 weeks. I'm just looking for hope that my odds are in favor of being negative.
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 6 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I am really concerned about your problem.

Chances to get HIV infection in unprotected heterosexual contact are more in females as compared to male. Chances are further more if any of partner had any sore/ulcer/cut on genital.
But still as per data, chances to get HIV infection in such case are less than 1%.

As I suggested earlier, there are many other causes of generalized lymphadenopathy apart from HIV and they may be treatable.

I wish your serology for HIV will be negative.

I hope your query is well answered. If you have no more question then please do accept my reply.

Wish you a speedy recovery from this problem.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor