Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Unprotected oral sex, cold, chest and back rash. Worried about HIV exposure due to bleeding gums

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12681 Questions
I recently engaged in unprotected oral sex with a partner of unknown status. I know oral sex carries a relatively low risk of HIV transmission, however given the seemingly promiscious nature of the person I was with and the fact that my gums bleed when I brush I am very worried I am at risk. About two weeks after this encounter I got a pesky cold then developed a rash on my chest and back as well as my foot. My foot was likely athlete's foot since I had prior rashes but the rash on my chest and back and the cold scared me a lot. I only put this person's penis in my mouth for like 30 seconds because I didn't like it but now I am worried I may have been exposed to HIV given my bleeding gums. There was precum but I cleaned it off before I put it in my mouth and never swollwed...HELP I am freaking out!
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
This can be categorized as minor exposure. But you should be careful in future with such encounters.
The cold and rashes on the chest and feet could be due to a generalised viral infection. You can take a good supportive treatment with plenty of warm fluids, steam inhalation, tylenol and rest with light easy to digest diet for a few days. Your symptoms are likely to improve over next 4-5 days.
To confirm that you have not caught the infection, you will have to wait atleast two weeks and then get yourself tested. You will have to then retest every 3 months for atleast 6 months to confirm that you are totally safe.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,  

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor