Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Underwent PTCA with stenting, on plagerin and Tonact. Can Vitamin K2 recommended for heart health?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1306 Questions
I am a male , 43 yrs, and underwent PTCA wiht stenting 6 yrs back.
Taking since 6 yrs plagerin A 150 mg and Tonact, as regular course.No BP/Sugar compliant.
I have come across recent strudies and reserch relating to the benefit of Vit K2 being more freindly for heart health, rather this is believed to reverse the artery disease. ( e.g japanese natto food)
Would you recommned me taking Vit K2 supplement for the heart health?
Please advsie the supplemnt is this can be consumed.
Is priscription of Vit K2 prevalent in INdia for heart patients??
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see details

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. There is some literature supporting the usefulness of vitamin K2 in cardiovascular diseases. It claims that this particular form of vitamin K2 is necessary for normal function of blood vessels of heart and it prevents their calcification. However has not being recommended by our governing bodies, which regulate the practice of cardiology (American college of cardiology, European society of cardiology & others).
2. In fact on 26th April 2012, European food safety authority, in one of its orders on specific issue of vitamin K2 and heart, clearly said that it is not convinced that Vitamin K2 has beneficial effect on heart.
3. To the best of my knowledge it's prescription is not prevalent in Indian cardiology fraternity.
4. I do not recommend this nutraceutical to my patients as yet.
5. Actually none of the vitamins has found any favor for prevention of cardiovascular diseases by international community.
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor