Underwent MRgFUS. Complaining of low fever and pain in tail bone. Having breathlessness and increased heart rate. Suggestions?

Posted on Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in Infections
Question: Hello. My wife underwent MRgFUS over a month back. She has been complaining of low fever, pain in the tailbone, breathlessness and increased heart rate since then. (she has had low fever infrequently for two years) She was on a course of Augmentin, Vizilac and Combiflam (on SOS) for a month. Yesterday, @ 9pm (it is 10pm now) she started shivering violently and fever started. First measurement was 99.9 which increased to 102.3. First I gave her combiflam and then Crocin 650. This brought the fever down to 100.1 At 5am today, fever again increased so I gave another Crocin 650 tablet. At night, she had bowel movement with lot of gas. At 1:30 pm today, fever increased to 102.5 to which another Crocin 650 was given. Fever subsides everytime the tablet is given in 15-30 mins. Afternoon, she is has been sleeping with Fan and Aircon On. Evening she had a lot of perspiration. She had Egg, Toast and Milk in morning. Chicken soup in afternoon and some wheat rotis and lentils now in night. Fever is increasing again. She has not had shivering after last night. I'm attaching the blood test report. Dengue NS1 Antigen and Malarial parasite reports are negative.
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 37 hours later
Brief Answer:
OBGYN consultation for PID / UTI

Detailed Answer:

Apologies for the late reply.

I understand your wife developed low back pain and on and off pain after surgery (MRGFUS). Further currently her fever has spiked up to high grade and continuous fever. I also note that she has increased leucocytes (WBC) with neutrophill predominance. All these symptoms point towards possible infection and I suspect the infection can be in her pelvic organs (PID) or urinary tract (UTI).

At this point of time, I think she needs a couple of more tests - urine routine and culture along with blood culture may be to isolate the causative organisms. Please continue the treatment for fever as you have been doing till now. Let her drink lots of fluids and lets her have fluid diet as much as possible. In addition I also encourage her to visit her gynecologist to rule out PID/UTI.

I hope I have answered you satisfactorily. Please get back if any more doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Roopa Hiremath

Infectious Diseases Specialist