Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

160 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Underwent HbA1c test. Should I be worried about the findings?

Answered by
Dr. Basheer Ahamed


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 1583 Questions

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Diabetes
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX My name is XXXXXXX an employee of Deloitte and i have recieved my HbA1c reports last week. It showed my Glycosylated Haemoglobin is 6.5%. I would like to know what kind of precautions i have to follow to bring it to normal. Fasting Plasma Glucose is 126. Post Lunch it is 173 Please suggest your advices. Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: lifestyle changes Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. HbA1c above 5.7 %, FBS more than 126 mg/dl and PPBS more than 200 mg/dl is diagnostic of Diabetes. In this condition I would advice my patient the following. Exercise: Good physical activity, 45 mins of brisk walking or aerobic workout for 5 days a week. maintain body weight. Diet: Low carbohydrate(Whole grains), low fat diet. Increase dietary fibers in the form of vegetables, greens and fruits. Medication: Metformin has to be started. All the above methods will help bring down HbA1c and control blood sugar. Continue all the above advice for 3 month and repeat Blood sugar and HbA1c test. Based on the results the doctor will decide on further treatment options. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Basheer Ahamed 9 minutes later
How to take Metformin daily? No of times and dosage for each time. Please tell us. For the diet, can i still take rice atleast once a day? Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can take rice. Detailed Answer: Hello, I would start mefortin 500 mg twice a day in my patient. You can take a cup of rice one a day. regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Blood test

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am Satendra 28 year old. before one month ago my hemoglobin level is low as per hematology report. then I have used Dexorenge syrup. then hemoglobin level is now normal. I want to know that, Will there be any side effects on prolonged use of this syrup. pls suggest the same.

doctor1 MD

Dear Sir ,iam having a positive igm test of tb but a negative tb test as well as a negative igg test.iam suffering from tb ,.Also iam suffering from seronegative artheritis,though my test for ra r negative ad only c-reactive protine test and esr test r out of range .My age is 30 years , weight 67 kg ,height 5.4ft

doctor1 MD

For about a month and a half I have had a dull pain more like discomfort in the area just to the right of my belly button and down about an inch or two and at times feels as if it moves to my right along my beltline. I have had a blood test and Ct scan of my abdominal area all coming back normal. Pain is generally when I am sitting. Standing and moving I have almost zero discomfort.Do you have any ideas

doctor1 MD

I ve been having RUQ for 8mos. My GI doc says I m fine (normal US, normal blood tests, Hida scan BGEF 88%, endoscopy showed no ulcers , biopsies normal). I ve pretty much given up and just live with the pain (the symptoms read like a poorly functioning gallbladder ), but last night I had a glass of red wine (cut with water) and the pain was double or triple what it usually is. What would cause that?

doctor1 MD

I am having sinus pressure and I recently had pneumonia . I do use salt water rinse. Today I kept falling asleep. I got up and ate dinner but tonight I am again fighting to stay awake. I saw my Doctor yesterday, she did a blood test . Thank you, XXXX

doctor1 MD

My ESR Test Result: 30mm/hr in 1st hour and 2nd hour 60mm/hr why it’s come like can you please explain. Last 2 weeks on word i ma getting itching .what the reason The doctor has started working on your question. Once the doctor submits the answer,...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my upper right hand side of my chest, feel sick after eating, and get really hungry, and thirsty. Could this indicate esophageal cancer or gallbladder problems?