Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Underwent ELISA test for HIV 1 and 2. Does the value indicate non reactive?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 341 Questions
Hi Doctor, I am a 24 Year Male and underwent ELISA test for HIV 1 & 2 recently. The report showed the value as 0.32. There were three sets of values given in the same sheet saying that that [<0.7 - NonReactive, 0.8-0.9 - Equivocal, > 1.0 - Reactive] Do these 3 values refer the standard values to check my result (0.32) against or does these values say that my blood was non-reactive for < 0.7, and was reactive for > 1.0??? Also, since my value says that its 0.32, do I have any future risk? Or Should the value read 0? What does that 0.32 indicate?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sunil 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Your ELISA test values 0.32 is non-reactive (negative) and you need not to worry about it.

Values 1.0 - Reactive are reference values to compare your actual values. When values are more than 0.8 or even more than 1.0 (reactive/positive) then further evaluation by western bolt is indicated.

It is not necessary that a normal person should be having value 0, in fact it reads below 0.8 in normal persons and are thought to be negative for HIV. You are not at risk so far and need not worry about it.

If you have had unprotected sex in recent past then you may like to repeat your test after a month. If it is still negative (non-reactive) then it is conclusive, however, false negative and false positive possibilities should be kept in mind.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further question I will be happy to help.

Take care.

Dr Sunil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor