Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Underweight and want to gain weight. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2104 Questions
Hi, I am year old male vegetarian, Height:5'10" and weight is arround 52 kg. I am underweight. I want to gain weight. Please help me out. Thanks
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Protein XXXXXXX foods along with exercise will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, I would like to advise that you should eat protein XXXXXXX foods like cheese, soyabean, milk products, etc.
If you eat egg(some vegetarians eat egg), it is also beneficial.

You should also consult a gym trainer as isometric exercises will help in building muscle mass and thereby help in increasing body weight.

Donot go for protein supplements available in the market. They can cause harm if consumed in wrong method.

You should eat healthy and fresh fruits and vegetables as they will help in keeping the body healthy and disease free.

Also drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Underweight and want to gain weight. Suggest? 28 minutes later
thanks Dr. for your reply.

I am pure veg. person so avoids eggs.
can you please explain a proper diet plan to me?
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should consult with a dietician.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your response.

You can continue with foods mentioned earlier(except eggs).
Try to have 1-2 bowls(katori) of pulses daily along with seasonal vegetables in your meals. You can add cottage cheese(paneer) in lunch 2-3 times a week.
For detailed diet plan you should consult with your dietician and gym trainer.

I hope this answers your query.
If you have any further doubts, please mention.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor