Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Underweight. Little deficiency in iron. Prescribed Ostocalcium. Worried about weight?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1444 Questions
hi, my 11 month old son weighs only 7.54 Kg. His weight at the time of birth was 2.5 kg. Is he underweight? I should also mention that he is otherwise very active. But he is a small eater. Among fruits he is having banana and pomegranate juice. Besides cerelac and Nan 2 he is having rice, dal and vegetables (carrot, beans, potato). He is not having breast feed. His doctor said that since he seems to be little deficiency in iron, he has prescribed i-up (1 ml twice daily) and D-up (1 ml once daily). Recently he prescribed Ostocalcium also. My son hasnt got his teeth yet. 3 times he his having solid food and 3 times milk (average 6 ounce each time). I am little worried about his weight. Please let me know what changes should I make in his diet so that he gains weight.

Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

I understand your concern but there is nothing to worry.

As a general rule weight doubles by 5months of age and triples by 1year of age.

Since his birth weight was 2.5 so his weight presently is appropriate.

I must congratulate you on the way you are feeding your child.
You are already doing great job, continue with it.

Regarding dentition there is nothing to worry.Every child is different,some have late dentition .

Continue giving iron and calcium supplement as suggested by your doctor .

Hope I have answered your query,if you have any further question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.

God bless...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor