Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Underweight. Diagnosed with Lymhnode TB. Took streptomycin injection. Experiencing imbalance, blindness, fatigue and low appetite. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14872 Questions
Respected Sir Im a 24 yrs old MALE. Im underweight. My current wt is 50 kg & my height is 173 cm (5 fit-8.5 inch ).
My past Medical history is In 2004 I had Jaundice. Which is again repeated in 2006 & 2010.
Then in November 2011 I am diagnosed with Lymhnode TUBERCULOSIS.
IN T.B I was treated by my doctor wrongly. The Private hospital doctor were gave me 10 months treatment and also in 9th month doctors gave me Streptomycin injection daily 1 for 45 days. Which results in imbalance, vision blindness, fatigue, wt loss, low appetite.
Then we adviced to a Government hospital XXXXXXX which says that you were treated wrongly. The Advanced T.B. Treatment is only 6 month and 60 dose of oral tablets. The Government hospital XXXXXXX stopped all the medicines. After this 6 month I was get in normal life.
AGAIN in May 2012 I had pain my scrotal. So I concerned XXXXXXX which after ultra sonography diagnose me with 1st Grade Varicocele. Then for Varicocele I get Homeopathic treatment since 1 year now Varicocele is Totaly cured.
From last 5 months I had joined GYM under guidance of Dieatation ,Nutrition Expert & Gym Trainer with the use of Dietary Supplements (MASS GAINER). The Dieatary Supplement gives me total -1600 Calories per Day. The Supplement Name is Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass. But I Had not gaining weight.

2 Days ago I have done following medical tests –
1) SGPT - 18 u/l ( Normal Range)
2) SGOT – 25 u/l ( Normal Range)
3) Blood Sugar- ( Normal Range)
4) HB – 15.1 ( Normal Range)
5) Urine Routine – Normal No Abnormalities found
6) Blood Urea -24.4 mg/dl ( Normal Range)
7) Serum creatine – 1.13 mg/dl ( Normal Range)

So, The Nutrition Expert & Gym Trainer adviced me to XXXXXXX a Specialized Doctor to find out my Medical Problems to not gaining wt. Please Advice me For Some medical tests & Specialized Doctor (with the Specialization) and also the Reasons Behind not gaining of my weight
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

In addition to the tests that you have done you may also want to do a thyroid function test and ESR.
If the thyroid function is high, it can prevent weight gain or in some persons, cause weight loss.
The ESR stands for erythrocyte sedimentation rate- this checks for inflammation in the blood. Inflammation can be due to infection, chronic long term illnesses or more serious illness like cancer. In this situations the ESR is high.

If your ESR is high then the doctor will look for what condition could be causing this.

If it is normal then it is not likely that there is any serious illness that is causing you to not gain weight.

You mentioned using 1600 calories a day, this is not enough to put on weight. This amount of calories would be good if you are trying to maintain your present weight or even lose weight. When I put your height and weight in an medical calorie calculator it states that you need at least 1900 just to maintain your weight at 50kg.
If it takes 1900 to maintain this weight you would need more calories to actually gain weight.
The same medical calculator states that if you need at least 2300 to 2500 calories a day at your height to gain weight.

When a person is trying to gain weight they need to use more calories than their body needs so that the extra calories can be stored in the body and result in weight gain. This cannot happen at only 1600 calories.

To gain weight you need to:
(1) increase the amount of calories you use in a day
(2) increase the portion sizes of your meals
(3)increase the frequency of your meals so that you use a snack between breakfast and lunch and again between lunch and supper. Use high calorie snacks like nuts, avocado
(4)increase the amount of calories of each meal by adding items such as butter, oil, dressings, potatoes,
(5) avoid fidgeting, relax- remember the food and drink you use add energy and weight to your body- activity would reduce the energy and weight
(6)At the gym , it would be better to do only strength training exercise for now to build muscles. If you do cardio or other aerobic exercises you would be burning off all the calories you would have taken in
(7)avoid skipping any meals

In terms of a doctor to see you for an assessment- a general practitioner or family doctor can see you but if you wish for a specialist you can see an XXXXXXX medicine specialist or internist as they are sometimes called.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Underweight. Diagnosed with Lymhnode TB. Took streptomycin injection. Experiencing imbalance, blindness, fatigue and low appetite. What to do? 19 hours later
Thanks for the answer.
but I have few Questions :-

1) If Thyroid function test Or the ESR. test shows abnormalities then what can I do?

2) And If test shows normal then what is next should I do ?

3) According to you in GYM do strength training exercise but present I am doing wt training (using higher and higher wt in gym), so it is harmful or I prefer any extra exercises.?

4) If I increase 2300 to 2500 calories a day, then according to my medical history and present health condition how many kg wt should increased in One month ?

5) I am very active person. Presently I am running a medical store. I am working daily 12 Hours a day. and then goes to the GYM for 2 hours. So I have to increase the calories more the than 2300 to 2500 a day ?

6) what is the difference between taking calories from meals and Dietary Supplements. I am asking because sometimes I have to skip my meal or I have not get time to do meal ?

7) In market there are meal replacement Dieatry supplement are available but are they useful to me gaining weight ?

8) What is the difference between Mass & Muscle

9) Does Glutamine Supplement Or Glutamine capsule help In the process of gaining weight ?

" I am Very Very Hopeful That You will Give Me Right Way "
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later

It the thyroid level is high then the doctor will give medication to reduce it and suppress excess thyroid production.

If the ESR is high then the doctor will look for the possible cause for the increase. As mentioned this is increased in infection, inflammation , some chronic illnesses or cancer.
The doctor will take a history, examine you and take further blood tests to find the cause.Imaging tests may also be necessary.

Weight training in ok, it is also known as strength training in other places. You may want to decrease the time to 1 hour to reduce any calories that you lose through exercise.

That increase from 1600 to 2500 should result in a weight gain of 4 to 8 pounds a month. If you are very active you may want to increase the calories further to 2600- 2700 calories.

If you have to skip a meal you can use a high calorie meal replacement like ensure or suppligen.
High calorie meal replacements like Ensure are formulated to help gain weight.

Persons would sometimes say muscle mass referring to the total amount of muscle present.
FAt mass would refer to the amount of fat present.

Mass is the amount of something but you have to be measuring something such as amount of water, muscle or fat.

Glutamine would help to build up protein or muscle mass.Increase in muscle mass would cause a weight gain.

Feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor