Undergone surgery for brain tumor. Suffering from stomach ache. Taking percocet. Correlation between brain tumor and abdominal pain?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Question: My sister in law had brain surgery 2 1/2 years ago for a non malignant tumor at the brain stem. She has a permanent shunt. Part of the tumor is still there, but not growing, but since the surgery she has had terrible stomach pains. She believes it to be gynecologic because the pain is in that area, but no one has been able to find a reason. She has been examined for endometreosis, the shunt has been moved and adjusted and she takes a percocet every other day basically to numb the pain. Is there a connection to brain surgery and stomach pain? She also has noticed no sense of smell and taste since she has that tumor.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Hi
Thanks for writing in.

There is no direct correlation between brain tumor, its surgery and stomach pains(or abdominal pains). However, as the shunt drains into the abdomen, sometimes mechanical or infective problems of the shunt may cause such symptoms. I am reasonably sure that it has been ruled by her neurosurgeon.

Hence we need to focus on other problems. There may be pelvic infective disease, rectal problems and also gynecologic problems. Local ultrasound or CT scans may help in finding the exact cause as the intensity appears to be at least moderate to me.

Hope I could answer your query. I will be available for further follow-up queries, if any.