Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Undergone partial hysterectomy. Started spotting after sex with positive and negative pregnancy test. Worrisome

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
i haev an question to ask of you. i think im pregnant bc im preety biig and had 3 natural children and ive been haveing the same exact pregnancy signs and the thing is im 32 yrs old and last surgery i had was back in 2007 for particial hystermony and they told me they took out my uterus and cervix but the other day i was in the mood and i had put fingers inside me and i felt the exact same thing, the cervix, at the same spot with a hole in it. i did alot of rescreaches and took pregnancy tests but came up 3 times straight that im postive and once negative. and i did go to a woman's care center back in JANURARY and they told me no but i did a pee test there. my stomach is looking like im 5ths along and last XXXXXXX i had sex was in MO with my boyfriend back in DECEMBER and i did spot lite for 3 days with no pain. if i am, im not not exactly sure how far along i am bc i didnt start showin til last month (jan.) and im gettin bigger and my breats hurt and ive been passing out alot lately. but also i do have cysts probelms thats why i had hystro then. so can you give me valuable information and know what to look for when i do go to the doctors?...please do help me out bc im very scared adn i have had few drinks on new years day and 3 wks ago. sincerely, very worried.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in details.

The following information may be helpful to clear doubt & worry from your mind.

According to your history, you had undergone partial hysterectomy in 2007 where body of the uterus & some part of cervix are removed. In this surgery, ovary and remaining part of cervix are preserved as you are just 32 yrs old. Also, you are not getting period following this surgery and there is no way of being pregnant.

When you are in mood and insert finger, you just feel remaining portion of cervix that was kept after surgery.

Light spot following intercourse may be due to blunt trauma to cervix or cervical growth or inflammatory reaction by chemical substance, used at that time.

Beside true pregnancy, there are certain reasons for false positive urine for HCG test. These includes pituitary HCG (though less common in middle age), some cancer cells like antibodies or positive strip test even with very low level of beta HCG etc. In non pregnant women, beta HCG level is less than 5 IU/ml and in pregnancy or germ cell tumor, it is more than 25 IU/ml or high enough.

Therefore, you should consult with a gynecologist at the earliest for complete physical examination including pelvic examination with or without speculum. Some initial investigation like ultrasound (USG scan) lower abdomen & blood for beta HCG tests are essential to rule out underlying pathology. Cervical tissue biopsy may be needed if there is any type of growth found.

Do the following things for life style modification:

1) Take healthy diet and drink lots of water, eat fresh fruits/ vegetables.
2) Avoid salty/ spicy/ fatty food and take iron supplements with diet.
3) Avoid stress/ anxiety by yoga/deep breathing regularly.
4) May take antacid tab for indigestion problem/ abdominal bloating.
5) Maintain personal hygiene properly & need adequate sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor