Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Undergone PSA test. Looking for suggestion

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
Hello Doctor,

Current PSA report of my Father is 71.
Kindly advice.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to the forum.
This means he has progressive hormone independent cancer.
The next step is to do bone scan to check for bone metastases.
Bicalutamide may be attempted.
If the PSA still does not respond, he needs chemotherapy.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Undergone PSA test. Looking for suggestion 20 minutes later
Dear Doctor,
Secondary bone metastases was detected before the surgery on 14th January 2009.
Currently he is also having Loss of appetite.

Kindly advice.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome back.
Cancer was under control for a while after the orchiectomy.
Now there is progression, as detected by the PSA test.
The appetite loss is due to disease progression. Only supportive AND PALLIATIVE treatment can be offered.
Chemotherapy as an option is available. A medical oncologist will be able to offer SOME help.
You need to understand the SIDE EFFECTS of chemotherapy before undertaking it.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor