Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Undergoing treatment for urine infection. What can be the reason and correct treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1969
Answered : 17665 Questions
My father (age 75plus) has been undergoing treatment for urine infection, and has also undergone a small surgery. Still, we are unable to comprehend the reason and thus get correct teratment for this problem. Request assistance.
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

From your history it is not clear that what type of surgery is done. It is available on the discharge summary given to you.

At this age there are few causes which can give rise to urinary problems.

First is enlarge prostate which is very common at this age, which itself causes urinary problem.
In spite of having long time treatment for urinary infection, this requires few investigations and after this we can give correct and proper treatment.
If you treated him for long time and still there is no complete relief, it is possible that bacteria causing infection may be resistant to the medicine.
There is another cause behind enlarged prostate which will leave some residual urine in the bladder after passage of the urine. This acts as a good medium for the existing bacteria to grow. So it is important to void urine frequently.

If he has nagging pelvic pain, he needs good pain medication from the Urologist.

So please go for following investigations with the help of treating Urologist:
1. Urine testing for pus cells and culture, sensitivity test, which will give causative bacteria and medicine acting against it.
2, Sonography of urinary tract and prostate.
3. Blood testing for S.creatinine, blood urea.

After these investigations we can planned out the treatment. Mean while ask him to take plenty of water, lime water juice, some syrups to alkalize urine.

Hope I had answered your query. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Undergoing treatment for urine infection. What can be the reason and correct treatment? 17 hours later
Am attaching a scanned image of the previous treatment.Am unable to attach second scan,pls advise where this can be sent to alternatively
Urine culture report (latest) will be availble in 2-3 days.
In teh interim , request you to scrutinise the attached reports & opine.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I saw your father's report.
The problem that you father is having is due to stricture of urethra. The urine gets retained as a result of this stricture or narrowing and gets infected. At this point, he needs to wait for the urine culture and sensitivity report. Based on this, he needs to be put on an antibiotic. After treating the infection, we can look at the possibility of treating the stricture. He would need a urethroscopy and consult another urologist.
So I would suggest that you remain in contact with your treating doctor and follow his advice.
If you do not have any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate this answer.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor