Undergoing treatment for schizophrenia. Will it be safe to take etirest 0.5 mg along with sizoderm?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Schizophrenia
Question: Hi,
One of my relative is suffering from Schizopernia for last 4 years...He is under medication (sizoderm plus) for last 4 years and also has been given electrical shock thrice in last 4 years with each session have 3 to 6 rounds of shock therapy...

He is quite normal now and has been having sizoderm regularly. Doctor said this disease relapses every 1 year to this patient (going by past history of 4 years) and since this is around relapse time, he has prescribed him with Etirest 0.5 mg in addition to sizoderm. Please clarify if this will have any side effects whatsoever and is it safe to have this medicine now.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Schizophrenia is a chronic illness and have following course:
-Episodic
-Continuous

If his case episodic in nature, then it will controlled with Sizoderm plus only.

Etirest must have added by doctor for anxiety symptoms or for sleep difficulty. There is no harm with it, if taken for short duration under psychiatrist supervision.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal