Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Under treatment for enlarged prostate. What does the value signify? How serious is the problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1417 Questions
I am a male 65 years old. I am under treatment for enlarged prostate ( BAP )
Prostate: 4.5 x 4.6 x 5.2 cms about 59 grams Enlarged with varying parenchymal echoes. NOrmal Left Kidney. Blader wall thicked and trabeculated with diverticulam right base. Right Renal Calculas.
Uroflow Result recent:
Mximum Flow 7.5 ms/s
Mean Flow 3.1ml/s
Voiding time 60.4s
Flow time 60.5s
Voided Volume 187 ml

At present I am taking AFDURA . pRESCRIBED FOR 90 DAYS.

Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Thanks for the question.
Enlarged prostate is common health issue at your age. Benign enlargement is not a very serious issue and it can be very well taken care of with help of medications or TURP. But the possibility of prostatic cancer should be ruled out.

In your case few things which can be suggested are -

1. Continue AFDURA for 90 days and then get your prostate gland re-evaluated.

2. If there is no improvement, then consider TURP ( transurethral resection of the prostate). That is minimally invasive operation to clear the passage of urine.

3. If symptoms worsen even with AFDURA, then consider TURP directly.

4. Since there are parenchymal echoes within prostate, it would be good idea to get PSA done to rule out possibility of prostatic cancer. Please discuss about this with your doctor.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor