Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Uncontrollable to control urine while sleeping. What should I do for cure?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9571 Questions
i have a night wetting problem, i am a 31 year old woman and once in six months while I am sleeping I feel I am actually in the bathroom urinating and end up wetting the bed. this is very embarrassing and I don't know how it happens although very, very rarely. I basically think I am on the pot urinating subconsciously and suddenly wake up and run. also I am not able to control my urine during the day sometimes. I feel the urge to urinate and then it is ok and suddenly I have to rush, its uncontrollable. This happens at times. What should I do?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 30 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have what is called as 'Over Active Bladder Syndrome'. This is due to involuntary feeble contraction of the urinary bladder that causes Urgency and sometimes incontinence.

Please get following basic investigations done.
1) Urine Routine and Culture.
2) Ultrasound Scanning of the abdomen.
3) Urodyanamic study of urinary Bladder -

A qualified urologist can be able to guide you through the above suggested tests. He/she may also perform an endoscopic examination of Urinary ladder to confirm the possibility.

In the mean while take some medication that will inhibit the contraction of bladder like Darifenacin . Visit your family physician for prescription and dosage of the drug.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Uncontrollable to control urine while sleeping. What should I do for cure? 1 hour later
thanks, but this happens once in 6-7 months, not a regular phenomenon. what needs to be ascertained from the test? is there some precaution I can take?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

The passing of urine in bed without knowledge is called as Enuresis. Though it is occasional, it has to be treated. This can be controlled with an anti depressant drug like Imipramine for few months. Consult your family physician for dosage and prescription.

You will have to get investigated on the lines which I have suggested earlier for the urgency you had mentioned.

Hope I have cleared all your doubts.

Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor