Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Uncircumcised child. Noticed pus on penis tip. How to clean and treat this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
My son is 2 years not circumsized.. he has a pus on the tip of his penis where the urine comes out.. What should i do? He feels pain whenever he urinates.
Can i clean his penis? How?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

Your son’s symptoms are suggestive of balanitis. Balanitis is an inflammation of the glans penis and it may present with discharge or pus from underneath the foreskin, which may smell unpleasant and pain when urinating. The most common cause of balanitis in children is infection.

For cleaning, clean it twice a day with a weak saline solution (salt water). To make a weak saline solution, mix a teaspoon of salt into half a litre (500ml) of warm water. He could also try using an aqueous cream (eg E45 cream) to soothe and clean the area. Also make him wear cotton clothes.

If the symptoms persist then he will be prescribed either antifungal cream, antibiotics or a mild steroid cream.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor