Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

123 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Unable to sleep due to coughing. Chest x-ray normal. Not cured by medicine. Any suggestion?

Answered by
Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :1992

Answered : 332 Questions

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My husband has been coughing up XXXXXXX and clear phlegm for the past 2.5 years. He was diagnosed with allergies to about everything. This came on suddenly. He was biten by a spider about a month before all of this started. He has currently been on allergy shots for over a year but is no better. He constantly coughs, wheezes and is short of breath. He is always using a rescue inhaler. The doctors said he does not have asthma or COPD. He can not get any sleep at night because of all the coughing. He sounds like a 4 pack a day smoker. He has never smoked a day in his life. Chest xrays did not show anything abnormal. He currently takes zyrtec D 2 times a day to help with all of the congestion. He has been on several rounds of antibiotics and steriod shots, but they do not help much. They work for a few days and that is it. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!!!
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 6 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon. On the basis of the information provided it appears that your husband is suffering from chest infection. Greenish sputum is suggestive of infection with Pseudomonas aerugnosa. It appears that allergy is a predisposing factor. In the present situation it will be appropriate to consult a chest physician and plan for a chest X XXXXXXX Sputum examination and culture and sensitivity to decide on the appropriate antibiotic to treat infection.

Once the infection is treated he will require long term prophylaxis to avoid similar repeated episodes. It will be in the form of inhalers and tablets. I would also suggest you to to think of using mask to avoid exposure to allergens.

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it

With regards
Ravinder Sharma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on Asthma

doctor1 MD

my husband had a big operation on his ear 16 years ago he has had angina for 6 years just found out that he has had c o p d over the last 2 or 3 yeas and for the last few months his right nostril has been bleeding he has astma and it was his right ear aswell

doctor1 MD

Hi I have just come out of kalgoorlie hospital after being diagnosed with atrial fibulatiion.Iwas and still are experiencing wheezing and coughing,The doctor said it was a form of cardiac asthma They said there is nothing really i can take to help the wheezing but they did suggest a ventolin puffer Should i be trying something else The cough does not produce any gunk

doctor1 MD

On saturady i felt dizzy, light headed, and weak. I attributed to drinking a 5 hour energy and drinking alcohol. But days later i still have those symptons off and on. What could possibly causing this. I am 32, 6 2, 210lbs ,asthma only medical condition

doctor1 MD

Dear doc, I am 63 years female person. I have regular diabetic type 2 medication and my chlorestral, sugar, thryroid etc under control.

I never had a problem like cold, caugh, flu etc.,
but past one year I get constant cough, throat irritation, initialy I had antiboitics, gargle, cough syrup etc mostly bet 5 to 7 days it comes under control.

but this the third time I was severly affected and the experience was torchous. I live in Bangalore, recently I went to Chennai were I was severely affected and on 2nd June I visited a doctor who gave me medicine and I had to return from the station on 3rd june, since I had dizziness, severe cough but not temp. I did not eat 2 or 3 days then I met my family doctor after a very long period, he advised to meet an asthma specialist and he also suggested that I may have phlum in my lungs etc.

Could you kindly advise what specialist I should meet, I am registered with St Johns Bangalore.

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My wife seems to be have mumps , her right cheek is swolen and she has pain. She wanted to take Ibuprofen , however the medicine instructions states check with your doctor if you have asthma . do you have any other pain reliever or pain...

doctor1 MD

Good Morning, I am caregiver for my Father who is 95. He has asthma , COPD, just had a stent inserted in his right aortic valve and is due to have a valve replacemt next week. Last thursday he started feeling ill, cough , clight fever, took him to...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, Need your expert advice here,request you to please guide me on this and let me know the further process Medical history 1. Bronchitis asthma 2. Thalassemia Minor 3. Severe Iron deficiency anemia 4. Shoulder pain , muscle pain in...