Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Unable to resist urine. Suggest further treatment?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 2457 Questions
Dear Doctor, I am male aged 42 years. My problem is that I am unable to retain urine for sometime. If I resist automatically drops drops urine will come out. This became problem for me. Please for the time being suggest only medicines later I will go for Ultrasound etc. Above all I take atleast 6 ltrs of water everyday.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medicines without diagnosis may harm you.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX ! Good afternoon. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

Driblling of urine suggests that you have got incontinence to your urine, that is to say your sphincter which controls the urinary flow is not functioning the cause being unknown at present. This could be due to some urinary infection or due to something obstructing the urethra, for example the enlargement of prostate. These problems can be diagnosed by a urine routine/microscopic test and culture sensitivity test along with an ultrasound of kidney,bladder and prostate. However, your anxiety and panic disorder may also be responsible for the incontinence of the urine.

Without performing the investigations, it is not possible to diagnose the cause of your problems, and without diagnosis, it may not be possible to opine on the definitive treatment for your problem. So, in my opinion, it is more comfortable both for the patient and the treating doctor to have the investigation reports at hand while prescribing any medications to avoid any complications late on.

For the present,I would advise you not to hold your urine for long, and go for the wash room whenever you get the urge to pass urine. At best I can prescribe you some alkaliser and a urinary antiseptic (not antibiotic) like Pyridium till you get your investigations done. An addition of alprazolam tablet at bed time may be of help. I would insist on my stand of investigating you for a diagnosis and take appropriate treatment after being examined by your treating doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. Thanks for using XXXXXXX forum for your health problem. Wish you good luck. Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Unable to resist urine. Suggest further treatment? 5 minutes later
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper diagnosis is required for your benefit.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX! Nice to hear from you so soon.

Usually we give alkaliser syrup 2 tsf thrice a day in a glass of water, Tab pyridium one tab thrice a day, and tab alprazolam 0.25 once at bed time. As these are all prescription drugs, I would insist you see your treating doctor for a proper prescription of these drugs along with necessary investigations and proper diagnosis.

Thanks. Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Unable to resist urine. Suggest further treatment? 2 days later
Dear Doctor I will give you complete picture about my health. Kindly help me out. Since childhood I am suffering from Anxiety, Panic and Depression. After coming to New Delhi in 1998 I started taking medicines and went to Psychiatrists, psychotherapists, allopathy, homepathy, ayurvedic even with panchkarma therapy, accupressure, accupuncture etc. But finally my problem of Generalised Anxiety Disorder and panic attack faded away I can say completely vanished. Now only the Depression part left behind.

1) First and foremost thing presently I do not have anxiety, panic and related problems
2) I am presently taking rivotril 2mg daily one tablet early in the morning at 6'0 clock
3) My main problem is that I am suffering from Depression or sadness or what ever the terminology through out day along with mood swings. Really it hampering my day to day activities. Add fuel to fire i am suffering from drowsiness and fatigue ( i know this is because of medication).
Kindly tell me what to do right now as I am living in Delhi.

What I have to do? Even medicines, exercises, CBT etc not helping me out. If I don't take medicine, I feel nervousness (because of addiction). Kindly help me out please. FINALLY I WANT TO BE NORMAL PERSON HAVING WITHOUT DEPRESSION AND MOODSWINGS AND DROWSINESS,FATIGUE ETC.
Follow-up: Unable to resist urine. Suggest further treatment? 18 minutes later
Waiting for your reply please
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to go to a multispeciality hospital.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX! After going through your history, and so many interactions with you, I strongly feel that you need to see a neurologist and a psychiatrist together. There are a lot many multispeciality hospital in New Delhi where you can go, like VIMHANS, APOLLO, XXXXXXX hospital etc. I am sure with your efforts, you will be a normal person soon.
Wish you good luck and an early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor