Unable to hear properly and echo in ear. Suggest treatment

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello doctor
Recently my right ear has been creating a lot of problem for me . It is not paining , but it appears as if the inside door is closed , and I am unable to hear properly. I am not have any cold at the moment also , but why the eardrum is giving an echo sound when I XXXXXXX at the back of the ear. There is not much pain also . So I tried with Soleearwax drops , but it has further aggravated the problem.
Now my right ear is completely blocked and I cannot hear properly from my right ear.
Two weeks before I had the same problem, but at that time I had running nose, so as soon as took steaming from a Vaporiser I could feel the ear drum has opened , and I also tried to put some Coconut Oil in my ears , which really helped me a lot .
Please advise what is the problem with my ear.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ear examination, Tympanogram, Steam, Avoid oil.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Get your eardrums examined by an otoscope. This will help rule out any ear wax.

2. A Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) will help rule out any Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD) or fluid build up behind the ear drum.

3. Continue taking steam inhalation as it helpful.

4. Use of coconut oil is fine as long as there is no infection. Avoid use of coconut oil until the ear is examined.

5. There is a large set of air cells in the mastoid part of the temporal bone behind the ear. This air is connected with the air in the nose and paranasal sinuses via the Eustachian tube. That is why you can feel the echo sound in the ear drum when you XXXXXXX behind the ear. This is normal.

I must emphasize that this is a common problem and there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.