Thank you for your query.
1. Everyone experiences tinnitus
sometime during their lives, even when their hearing is normal, especially when the surroundings are quiet. Kindly get your ears examined to rule out blockage due to ear wax (cerumen) build-up, which is the most common cause for tinnitus. Get your blood pressure and hemoglobin
2. Decreased hearing also makes one more aware of tinnitus. Get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) done. If you have a hearing loss
, amplification may help mask the tinnitus. You may also get middle ear pressure checked (Impedance Audiometry
Can you post your audiogram? What is your Speech Discrimination Score?
3. Has you had any previous treatment or medication besides the prescription dated 29.09.12 which you have attached? There are no examination findings mentioned. Has your eardrum been examined? How severe is your tinnitus on a scale of 1 to 10? Is it pulsatile (matching with the heartbeat)? Does you have any other co-existing disease including, anemia, thyroid problems,cervical spondylosis
, nasal problems or history of head injury? Does you have any dizziness
4. What is your exposure to occupational noise and loud music / earphones / mobile phones? Exposure to loud noise is also a leading cause for tinnitus.
5. Does your Tinnitus change when you clench your teeth? If so, a dental reference is needed.
6. One option is to mask the tinnitus by using hearing aids. Common tinnitus therapy includes ginkgo biloba
, multivitamins and antioxidants. Transtympanic steroids (dexmethasone) are of help in half the patients I treat. Tinnex (Carvoverine) is a newly launched treatment.
7. Kindly let me know the results of your investigations. This will help in suggesting further treatment. I must emphasize that in a vast majority of patients of tinnitus, the cause is never found. However there are further treatment options depending on the type of tinnitus.
There is no cure for tinnitus however in certain cases, it can be controlled.
I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.