Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Unable to focus on studies during period and hurting. How to treat dysmenorrhea?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
How to treat dysmenorrhea?
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

Dysmenorrhea (painful menstrual period) is a most common medical condition in reproductive age group women.

It has two types. 1) Primary or spasmodic type: without any organic disease and 2) Secondary or congestive type: with some underlying pelvic pathology like endometriosis, adenomyosis, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), uterine fibroid, using IUD (like Copper-T) etc.

Here, I suggest to undergo one pelvic ultrasound scan to rule out underlying organic diseases (if any) or point out secondary dysmenorrhea. Some other relevant investigations may be required according to primary report. You can consult with your gynecologist for proper guidance regarding this.

According to your clinical presentation, it is mostly suggestive of Primary or spasmodic type Dysmenorrhoea. The severity of pain lasts for few hours to 24 hrs maximum.

Some general guidelines should be followed for better result of the condition:

1) Improvement of general health and simple psychotherapy with explanation of the fact & assurance.

2) Bowel should be kept empty. Drink plenty of fluid/ water/ juice. Take healthy diet with more vegetables in small amount at least 6 times.

3) Total avoidance of tea/ coffee/ fast food/ salt from the second half of the cycle (after day 14) till period is over.

4) Try to avoid mental stress/ upset by meditation or yoga. Light exercise is also useful in this condition. Maintain genital hygiene properly.

5) Take anti-spasmodic medicine like combined mefenamic acid and drotaverine thrice daily till pain subsides. Alternate hot and cold compression around back region is also useful.

6) If above medication does not help to alleviate pain, you can take combined oral contraceptive pill (OCP) cyclically from Day1 of menstrual cycle. In such case, you must consult with doctor for prescription. It is more effective.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor