Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Unable to conceive due to infertility problem. What should be done?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
infertilityI'm 30 yrs old, never been pregnant, been to specialist for three yrs, no pregnancy, running out of
Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 26 minutes later

Thanks for posting,
By WHO definition of infertility a couple that is unable to conceive despite multiple or frequent sex for at least 2 years is considered not fertile. The problem usually could arise from one and rare from both partners. Normally most doctors avoid accusing or letting the partner with problems get the blame for the infertility problem (because it is a very sensitive issue). I believe that by saying that you have been to 3 specialists mean different attempts have been tried to remedy your situation but have they told you which of the two of you (partners) has a problem. Since this issue is a sensitive issue, I believe one of your doctor is better placed to address this problem by telling you where the problem is coming from. If the problem is identifiable and if it can be treated, then it will be treated.
Also need to know what type of specialists you tried? There are fertility specialists and obgyn with up to date information on treating infertility (if treatable).

Treatment depends on the cause of infertility. It may involve:
- Education and counseling
- Fertility treatments such as intrauterine insemination (IUI) and in vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Medicines to treat infections and clotting disorders
- Medicines that help the woman grow and release eggs from the ovaries

It is important to recognize and discuss the emotional impact that infertility has on you and your partner, and to seek medical advice from your health care provider.
Do not forget that there is a possibility that one of you might be permanently infertile (forgive me if I am a bit straight forward in such a sensitive matter, but I believe is the best thing to tell you than allow you to have everlasting hopes, even though it is always good to stay hopeful).
Try discussing again with your specialist and see if they can refer you to other specialists.

Hope this was helpful and let me know if you wish to ask further questions.
Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor