Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Ultrasound suggests enlarged uterus. Is surgical removal of uterus the only option?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 1990
Answered : 232 Questions
Hello Doctor,
My mother who is 49 years old, is experiencing from the problem of bulky uterus.
She has not achieved menopause as yet. The ultra sound was done today i.e. on 9th april 2013. The report says:
Uterus- is enlarged shows normal myometrial reflectivity.
Endometrium is normal.
Subendo/ myometrial interface is distinct.

Uterus measures as under:
Superinferiorly- 85 mm
Anteroposteriorly- 52 mm
transversely- 76 mm
cervicofundal length- 133 mm

Uterus is seen descended. Multiple endocervical nabothian cysts are seen in hypertrophied cervix.

Ovaries are normal.

No collection as seen in cul-de-sac.

This is the opinion of radiologist-" Prolapsed bulky uterus. Endocervical nabothian cysts; A sequelae of chronic cervicitis XXXXXXX

Could you please suggest your medication for this.
Is surgical removal of uterus the only option? or is there any effective medication for this.
My mother has normal periods as of now. Few times in the past, the date of advent of periods shifted up and down. She believes because of this problem only sometimes she has swelling/ pain in the knees.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 16 hours later
A prolapsed uterus is a clinical diagnosis.
Since your mother is not having any menstrual complaints she may not need any kind of surgery, provided the uterus and other pelvic organs are not coming down.
You can ask her a simple question- If she feels something coming out of vagina on standing, walking or while sitting on the pot.
If no such history please get one Paps smear done.
There is no medication available for prolapse.
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Ultrasound suggests enlarged uterus. Is surgical removal of uterus the only option? 10 hours later
Yes, she said she felt the mass coming out of vagina... over the past months this has increased; the vaginal opening has widened; I think this means it is the case of descend of uterus. If there's no medication for regress then I believe that the surgery is the last resort.

1.)Doctor are there any complications with such a surgery in general?
(The blood reports are normal. No HIV or Hepatitis infection. But She has arthritis problem)

2.)And I'm inquisitive about how it is done- through abdominal incision or through vagina? What would you suggest in her case?

3.) In the last please advise post surgery care (in terms of food/ or any other activity) from your side too so that we could take those into account as well.

Thanks a lot!
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 20 hours later
Mst of the women with prolapse can have vaginal hysterectomy in which surgery is done vaginally and there is no abdominal incision.
The rest required is about 7-10 days depending on the patients.
Thepatient can eat normally from next day and do her own care.
A urinary catheter is inserted for 2-10 days depending on the need.
Its a simple surgery with almost no serious complications.
The surgery may unmask underlyting SUI(stress urinary incontinence).
Before surgery we need to see her knees. A 90 degree movement is important for postioning at surgery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor