Owl Image

Ultrasound shows hepatic spleen, gall bladder swelling and small kidneys with cortex thinning. Life span?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
My mother is a long time drinker. She is now very physically ill. Ultrasound shows hepatic spleen and gall bladder swellin and small kidneys with cortex thinning. She has not been able to eat and she is very weak. She has no muscle mass left in arms and legs. She is also congested and coughing. She is 59 years old. My question is could her kidneys be failing from liver cirrhosis which she hasnt been diagnosed yet. Bun and creat a little high, liver enzymes elevated billirubin 2.1 and she is jaundice. her dr wants to wait for ct scan of abdomen before treatment. I am concerned that she will die from malnutrition before that. should i take her to the ER?
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 48 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
From the history you have given it appears that your mother is most probably going into hepatorenal syndrome. Both her liver as well as kidneys seem to be failing. With the results of the tests you have provided I would advise immediate admission to a intensive care unit. She requires both supportive care for her liver insufficiency as well as perhaps renal support or dialysis if things spiral out of control.
So my advise would be immediate admission to hospital.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards