Ultrasound showed to have enlarged liver with homogeneous parenchyma. What does it mean?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Really sick, dr trying to figure out why. My last ultra sound said I have an enlarged liver with a smooth contour showing a homogeneous parenchyma. What does that mean
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: no masses are seen in the liver Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Liver enlargement can occur for different reasons. The term homogeneous parenchyma means that the all aspects of the liver tissue are similar, it is enlarged but there is no particular area that appears markedly different from the other. Homogeneous means same. Smooth contour means that the outline of the liver is smooth, there is no irregularity in the outline. This makes it less likely that there are any masses, stones, cysts or any collections because these would have stood out and appeared differently. Other causes of enlargement : (1) congestion of the liver (this means the blood flow is impaired). This can occur as a result of different types of infection (2)autoimmune liver disease (3)metabolic causes such as non alcoholic fatty liver, some storage diseases (4) side effect of medication I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
I dont understand whats going on I have lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks. I have severe diarrhea for 4 weeks already with heavy mucous on it. Have had terrible lower stomach pain for a month and a half already. Generally I just do not feel well very weak and light headed
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: different possible causes Detailed Answer: HI Diarrhoea for 4 weeks would definitely result in weight loss. The mucous that is present in the stool is related to the inflammation of the colon. The intestines normally secrete mucous but this can be increased when it is inflamed or irritated. Abdominal pain (like you are experiencing) and diarrhoea would normally co exist. Diarrhoea for such a long period of time would be called chronic diarrhoea. This would occur as a result of : (1) disease of the large intestines or bowel- ulcerative colitis, crohns disease, irritable bowel syndrome (2) diseases of the small intestines (3) conditions of the pancreas- pancreatitis- inflammation of the pancreas , (4)endocrine conditions such as thyroid disease, hypoparathyroidism (low levels of parathyroid hormone), (5) chronic infection with parasites (6)immunodeficiency You would likely need other investigations , blood tests such as full blood count, liver function tests, thyroid function tests, calcium levels, iron, vitamin b12, stool analysis. Other imaging such as CT scan , barium studies (barium enema- looking at the bowel ) or a scope may be needed. Please feel free to ask any thing else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 19 hours later
What is hypodense mild liver compared to the spleen. And increased fecal in colon mean? I'm really scared in alot of pain and just do not feel good at all
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer: hypodense means not as dense compared to Detailed Answer: HI Hypodense means that when the imaging was done the liver appeared less dense than the spleen.This again can be related to different causes. fecal matter refers to stool and increased fecal content means that there was a lot of stool seen within the intestines even though you have persistent diarrhoea. I can only imagine how much discomfort you must be in, especially if the exact cause of your symptoms have not been determined as yet. Feel free to ask anything else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
I don't believe I have a fatty liver, my cholesterol is good my triglycerides are good my sugar lever is normal. Hospital visit where these test were done. They did cbc my ALT, AST and ALP all came out good none were high.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: if the enzymes are normal, the liver is working Detailed Answer: Hi Fatty liver can have different causes but as you correctly inferred it would normally be associated with increased level of liver enzymes such as you mentioned. The fact that these enzymes are normal is reassuring because it implies that despite the enlargement seen, the liver is still working well. If liver function was impaired the liver enzymes would be increased.
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 minutes later
I have appointment with a gi specialist tomorrow. What question do you suggest I ask him? As everyday goes by I get more pain and feel more weak. My pain starts in my lower abdomen and travels all to my lower back. I always have low grade fevers 101.3 most of the time. Nausea and vomiting. I am disoriented, confused and pretty much don't know what to do. Everything in my pelvic area was great.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: there are a number of possible questions Detailed Answer: Hi You should relate your symptoms in a chronological manner ,starting from the first and relating the progression. You may want to write them down so that you do not forget anything. Ask about your imaging investigations and blood tests and the implications in light of your symptoms. You may want to ask about any additional testing that may be needed to identify the source of your symptoms. The time frame it may take to determine the cause of your symptoms and the expected prognosis. Identify any medication that may help relieve any of your complaints
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Oh great now I'm having blood in my stool. It wasn't actually poop it was a thick, long mucus filled with blood. I'm really scared
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Brief Answer: can be due to different causes Detailed Answer: HI, XXXXXXX Its understandable to be scared.Anyone would be. It would be important to add this symptom to your list when you speak to your doctor. It may not be indicative of a life threatening illness, there are some infections of the bowel that may cause blood and mucus in the stool. I hope your appointment today goes well. Feel free to contact if there is anything said that you do not understand