Ultrasound showed small kidney and polycystic ovary.What treatment should be done?

Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi, Recently my ultrasound(abdomen and pelvis) scanning report showed that my right kidney is small in size and left one is bulky adn i do have polycystic ovary. under such condition, can i take the treatment for polycystic ovary(for conceiving ), does that treatment affects my kidney by anyway
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 9 minutes later
There is a high possibility that your right kidney is smaller because of what we call 'hypoplastic nature'. In such a case, the other kidney compensates for this by becoming larger, and thus ensuring that overall function is unaffected.
It looks like that is what has happened in your case - your left kidney being bulkier probably is due to what we term 'compensatory hypertrophy'.
If you have no issues such as recurrent urine, then you have nothing to worry about.
I suggest you get a baseline evaluation of your kidney function which will involve at least a Complete Urine Examination, Serum Creatinine measurement.
If these are normal, you probably can go ahead and take treatment for assisting conception.
Regards.