Ultrasound showed polycyctic kidney disease with multiple cortical calcifications. What should be done?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: My wife is getting pain in stomach so we visited a doctor nearby and went to ultrasound test. Here is the report..

KIDNEYS : Right kidney: 12.1x4.9 cm; Left kidney: 12.9x6.3 cm . Both kidneys are mildly enlarged in size and shows multiple cysts of varying sizes with multiple calcifications seen in the cortex on both sides. Collecting system is normal. No evidence of calculi.

IMPRESSION : Polycyctic kidney disease with multiple cortical calcifications.

Please answer my questions..
How XXXXXXX is this disease? Life Threatening?
How much does it cost to go for surgery to remove the cysts?
If Cysts are removed once, Are there chance to form again? If so what should I do for that?
How many days we need bed rest after surgery?
Which is the best place in Hyderabad to get this surgery done?

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 25 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I UNDERSTAND YOUR ANXIETY.
I went through the report.
She most probably has, what is called POLYCYSTIC DISEASE OF THE KIDNEYS.
It is a potentially life threatening condition. If the diagnosis is proved, the disease can only be managed and not cured. It leads to progressive renal failure.
Issues of immediate concern are high blood pressure, abdominal pain and blood in the urine.
Long term issues are kidney failure and progressively enlarging kidneys.
The chance of kidney failure is 70 percent by 65 years of age.
YOU NEED TO CONSULT a NEPHROLOGIST TO PROCEED FURTHER.
This is the background information.
Answers to your questions
1. It is potentially life threatening, may not be immediately, but in the long run.
2. The cysts are not usually removed unless very large, as there is no significant benefit by doing so.
3. Cysts usually are in 100- 1000 and hence it is impossible to remove them all.
Pls take an early appointment with a nephrologist.
Hope this helps.
DR GS

Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 42 minutes later
She is 28 years now. Will this have an immediate effect on her health? ( blood pressure, abdominal pain and blood in the urine ) she is suffering with only abdominal pain. So how can we solve this problem? As you said the disease can only be managed, Can you please explain what is the process of being managed? Do we need to consult doctor regularly? Need to take medicines? Please explain in detailed way.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Hi
Welcome back.
NEPHROLOGY is the specialty dealing with this problem and hence a NEPHROLOGIST is the best person to XXXXXXX and take advice.
It is hard to comment when the problems will occur.
So , early visit to the doctor for detailed history taking, to check for BP, urine analysis etc should help.
The initial management will be pain killers, medicines for high BP, assessment of renal function and supportive.
Renal function will be assessed on followup and regular consult is a must.
Hope this clears your doubts.
Best regards
DR GS