Ultrasound showed cyst in ovary. Any chances of getting cancer from this?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,
Can you help me understand the measurements of a 2.7cm x 3.7cm x 3.9 cm ovarian cyst?
In April 2012 I was diagnosed with a simple cyst via ultrasound performed at my regular gynecologist office. Repeat ultrasound was performed in same doctor's office in July. Was told the cyst had changed and was now complex because it had a thin septation in it. Was sent to gyn/onco who performed a CAT scan, conclusion was simple cyst. Went to second gyno/oncologist who performed the whole series of ultrasound pics and again said cyst is simple and what the first office thought was "complex" or septation was really the wall of the cyst and the cyst has a small collection of fluid adjacent to cyst. Also had a CA125 which came back at 13.

Apparently this small collection of fluid adjacent to cyst was not there in the April ultrasound. I am obsessing over this cyst and feel pressure (not so much pain) from the cyst.

Is it possible that two different oncologists/radiologist reports would mistake the cyst for simple if it's really not simple? Does this change (collection of fluid) to the cyst usually mean something sinister is happening (cancer)?

By ultrasound and CAT scan, I was diagnosed with a simple ovarian cyst in July 2012. The cyst is still there as of 9/27/12 (last ultrasound).
Also noted on ultrasound was small amount of free fluid in posterior cul de sac. This is all from the radiologist report.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Since you had serial ultrasounds since July and a CAT scan too, it is unlikely for the two radiologists to mistakenly identify a cancerous or a complex cyst to be a simple cyst.
You do have a simple cyst and having a small fluid collection near the cyst may be the same fluid that has been detected in pouch of douglas- posterior cul de sac. Since the CA-125 readings are also within normal limits, there is nothing to worry. The cyst you have is a benign one and may be associated with mild pressure symptoms in the lower abdomen.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Attached are some pics of the ultrasound and also the radiologist report. The fluid is in two different area's (see radiologist report). Fluid can be seen next to cyst.

My main two questions please. The fluid was not present in April and was present adjacent to the cyst in July and still remains there on the 9/27/12 ultrasound. Can this fluid next to the cyst indicate some type of pathology since was not there in April but appeared in July?

Also, I think the wall of the cyst originally was mistaken as a septation back in early July. Since that time, I had the CAT scan and ultrasounds and they are just being called simple cysts and that this "septation" is actually cyst wall. Can radiologists definitely tell the difference between a septation and a cyst wall?

Thank you so much for your help. Please see photos uploaded.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen all the reports and the pictures attached. The fluid near the right ovarian cyst seems to be a reactionary fluid. There is some fluid in cul de sac also. Such minor amount of fluid is sometimes normally seen in pelvis. These findings are not suggestive of any ovarian malignancy.
I also think that the ovarian cyst wall was mistaken as septation in April. May be a small amount of fluid present near the cyst was interpreted as a part of the cyst and the cyst wall was mistaken to be a septa. In my opinion, both the pictures are almost similar and there is no major change. There are no specific criteria to differentiate between a cyst wall and a septa.
You can arrange for a follow up scan after six months to notice any change.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.