Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Ultrasound done due to irregular and painful period. Have a modpole cyst on kidney and ovary. Cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I have pain and irregular periods the ultrasound showed the presence of a modpole cyst 3.1x3.0 cm with few peripheral calcifications on the right kidney also an anechoic cyst measuring 3.6 x 2.8 cm on the right ovary. the urine test shows leucocytes present and pus as well as epithelial cells (10-15) and bacteria. the blood tests show t.wbc to be 0000 and the lymphocytes 21.60% and the ESR 30mm/hr. Does this mean I might have cancer?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

Your urine and blood tests are suggestive of bacterial infection than cancer.

Your ovary is showing a most likely benign cyst since majority of ovarian cysts are functional cysts which are physiologically seen during certain phases of menstrual cycle or if pathological more commonly benign than malignant at this young age.

Considering your data, the risk of cancer seems less likely than that of infectious pathology.

Since you also have a renal cyst it is advisable to consult your treating doctor for a thorough evaluation and further work up like CT scan, renal and liver function tests and serum FSH and LH hormone levels.

Your doctor may alternatively start you on appropriate antibiotics first and repeat the scan and blood tests after a couple of weeks, preferably the first week of menses to get a better idea and confirmation of diagnosis.

At present nothing can be said conclusively though the risk of cancer is not high in your case.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor