UTI,macrobid,vaginal burn,yellow discharge,bacterial vaginosis,terconazole,clusters

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: About three months ago I had a UTI that was resistant to Cipro. I ended up taking Macrobid but was still feeling a burning/irritated sensation inside the vagina. I went to my OB-GYN and they told me I was suffering from a yeast infection. They gave me a 3 day dose of Teraconzole (sp?). This helped but it then gave me a lot of yellowy watery discharge so I went back to the doctor. They did a wet pap and found out I had Bacterial Vaginosis. They then prescribed me Flagyl for 7 days. This helped but then gave me another yeast infection. I went back again. They gave me Terconazole again as well as Fluconzole pill to take every week for the next month. The suppositories gave me BV AGAIN. So this time they gave me Metro gel which has helped but now it seems my yeast infection is back and I have noticed clumpy discharge. What has me very concerned is that I have little white headed pimple looking clusters just on the inside labia. They are not painful and have not changed and I am only noticing them now all the sudden. They are very little and you can see it more when you stretch the skin out. Is this any cause to be alarmed? I am just tired of feeling so crappy all the time.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello
The small whitehead like things on the inner lip of your labia are just the prominent openings of the vaginal glands( Bartholin's glands) which have become even more prominent due to repeated bouts of infections that you are having.
Such repeated vaginal infections are usually associated with diabetes. It is advisable that you get your blood glucose levels checked.
Having treatment for vaginal discharge multiple times without being relieved of discharge is distressing. Bacterial vaginosis is usually associated with super added fungal infections and if not treated vigorously is notorious for recurrence. A common reason of recurrent infections is simultaneous improper treatment of the partner which keeps on reinfecting the female partner repeatedly.
A vaginal swab culture sensitivity will be helpful in determining the antibiotic which will be most suitable for your infection.
You can take some general measures to avoid recurrence-
1.Avoid wearing tight underwear or other tight acrylic garments everyday. Use loose fitting cotton underwear and panties. Avoid wearing jeans, legging, panty hose every day.
2.Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.
3.Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.
4. You can insert tampoons dipped in yogurt into your vagina twice a day. Be sure not to keep them inside for more than two hours.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN