Type 2 diabetic and toes have been amputated. What are the chances of healing?

Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Diabetes
Question: If a diabetic has good blood flow and is compliant on his diet does he have a good chance of healing after his toes have been amputated, they were able to get all the infection out and he is staying off his foot and eating very well. Thanks! Just want to know his odds. He has type 2 diabetes and is 61 years old and has had diabetes for 12 years.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow this advice and it will help.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Good control of blood sugar is crucial to healing after this type of surgery. High blood sugars can reduce the blood flow to the healing wound. Therefore, it is important that the blood sugars are monitored frequently. Be strict with following the correct diet that the doctor or dietician has advised. Regular inspection of the wound for signs of infection is important. Any fever or feeling of being generally unwell should be reported to the doctor as this may be the early sign of wound infection. Regular medications for blood pressure and cholesterol lowering meds should be taken as usual. Smoking can damage the blood flow to the feet so every attempt should be made to stop smoking.
If these steps are followed then there is an excellent chance that the would will heal without any problems.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA