Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Type 2 diabetic. Have raised MCV and MCH value. What is the required treatment?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
MCV 104.1, MCH 35.3 Today 12-11-12
MCV has climbed from mid 90's to 105 over the pasted 10 years . I am male 84 yrs good health not
overly tired ,active ,no other problems except type 2 diabetics under control .
? Bone marrow test 8 months ago indicated not ragged cells ( ? ) . sched for test next week .
What is treatment ? Contra effects ?
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 51 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, MCV of 104 and MCH of 35.3 should be corroborated with the other parameters. Because a raised MCV can be seen in many conditions like megaloblastic anemias, myelodisplastic syndrome, even in chronic liver disease, hypothyroidism, even some drugs like chemotherapeutic agents can lead to this condition.

In case of megaloblastic anemia, peripheral blood film examination is must. next step.

The previous bone marrow examination showed not ragged cells which may be seen in megaloblastic anemia. You should be tested for other diseases which can cause this type of abnormality. Sometimes, bone marrow biopsy is useful to differentiate other diseases from megaloblastic anemia.

So, you should consult with your treating doctor about this point. For this raised MCV levels, you do not need any type of treatment before proper diagnosis. If the bone marrow examination confirm presence of megaloblastic anemia, you only need to take vitamin B12 and folic acid supplements. They have less side effects.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor