Type 1 diabetic. Noticed burning vagina with white discharge. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I am a type 1 diabetic and 2 weeks ago we had a family funeral. It was stressful, my sugar ran high. I was also standing for long periods of time in my spanx in a warm room. A few days after the funeral I noticed some white discharge and burning. Tried over the counter monstat and in two days the thick discharge was gone and I just have a thing white-ish discharge. But I now have had increasing itching and discomfort in the clitoral area. Today it is unbearable. It is read but no sores, discharge. I called the gyn and she ordered diflucan 150. After read the internet, should I be concerned this is something else? I am 46 and have been in a monogamous relationship for 10 years
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Your symptoms are likely to be due to a vaginal fungal infection. These are more commonly seen in diabetics.
The itching is likely to be due to an yeast infection and this can be ruled out only by performing a detailed examination.
This typically presents with the symptoms that you have described. This can be treated with antifungal angents like miconazole and fluconazole. You can follow your gynecologist's instructions carefully.
It is also important to keep your private parts scrupulously clean. Trimming your pubic hair, not using any soap to wash your vagina and keeping the area clean and dry will help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 hours later
I got the 150 Diflucan and took it yesterday. the symptoms seemed to ease a bit after a few hours. I was impressed. . By bed time i felt great. Slept all nite no issues. Got up this am and after a visit to the bathroom the itching began again. And has gone on all day. Got worse when I wsa dressing for a party and went with silky underwear rather than cotton. Changed and the itching went down a bit. I realize there is no instant cure, but is this normal? Should I be concerned? When should the symptoms subside?
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It usually takes 3-4 days for the symptoms to ease down. For better relief you can use a vaginal pessary like Gyno Daktarin or clotrimazole once a day for 2 weeks. Please follow the instructions on the package carefully.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.