Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Type 1 diabetic. Had IUD. Having delayed periods. Pregnancy test negative. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14962 Questions
I currently have an iud, have had 4 C-sections in the past and am a type 1 diabetic.
My period is over a week late.
I took e pregnancy test 2 days ago was negative.
when should I start worrying?
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Delayed or irregular periods are termed oligomenorrhoea when there is an interval of 35 days or more between cycles.

Oligomenorrhoea can be due to different causes, the most common are: (1) emotional stress

(2) physical stress or illness

(3) high levels of a hormone called prolactin which is released in the brain

(4) high levels of thyroid hormone- hyperthyroidism

(5) inadequate diet

(6) excess physical activity

(7) PCOS- polycystic ovarian syndrome- this is diagnosed if there are at least 2 of the following : cysts on the ovaries seen on ultrasound, irregular periods, signs and symptoms of excess male hormones such as facial hair, acne

Pregnancy tests detect HCG hormone and should be positive (if pregnant) by day 12 to 14 after conception.

YOu can consider repeating the test in 3 to 4 days. If the repeat test rules out pregnancy then you may want to wait till at least another cycle is due.

IF this cycle does not occur at the expected time and there is still no evidence of pregnancy then you can visit your doctor.

It is not uncommon for one cycle to be irregular even in women with previous normal cycles however if 2 cycles are irregular then your doctor will investigate you for the conditions mentioned above.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor