Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Two C-section deliveries, tubectomy. Implications of reversal on mother and child health ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
Is tubectomy reversible, considering it was done after two C-sect deliveries, latest 13 years ago. Current age of female is 35. If possible, what are the implications for the female and child? Our priority is the female's health...
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Tubectomy reversal is possible but the extent of recanalisation of the tubes would depend on the time span between the surgery and the reversal. The sooner the reversal is done, the better are the chances of recanalisation. Microsurgery reversal techniques are commonly used nowadays and are very effective.

In your case, after 13 years of the tubal ligation procedure, I cannot give 100% confirmation that the recanalisation process will be successful. If there is success then, pregnancy should be possible provided all other factors are normal.

I suggest you get tested to check that all other factors like ovulation etc are normal before undergoing the reversal procedure.
Chances of a successful reversal after 13 years are on the lower side. There should'n be any health risks etc to the mother or the fetus if there is a successful conception.

I would also like to point out that after 2 Cesarean sections any future pregnancy has to be an elective Cesarean section as this would become a high risk case.

Please also consider assisted reproductive methods. Consult a fertility specilaist about what your options may be.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor