Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Twisted hand, wrist pain, applied ointment, use keyboard at work. Could you please suggest any medication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10427 Questions
Hello Doctor,

During my two wheeler (TVS Scooty Pep) travel, had to apply the break due to previous vehicles sudden break, so used front brake suddenly and happened to fall but balanced with right leg, During that time given too much action for my right hand and it's got twisted in right side. This is happened just a week ago. Felt more pain in my wrist front side on the day, applied some ointment as per my wife's suggestion (not sure the name though), after two days it was ok. But still getting pain often not frequently, Could you please suggest any medication/ointment to apply. Just FYI, am just keep typing keyboard as need to use system for my profession.

Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

Persistent pain in the wrist one week after the injury is a bit concerning. It could either be a fracture in wrist bones - most commonly in scaphoid bone.

I would encourage you to consult an orthopedician for detailed examination. You may need an X XXXXXXX of the wrist (anteroposterior view and oblique view) to rule out bony injuries.

I understand you are looking for some topical medications for pain relief, but I do not believe that only applying an analgesic ointment locally will provide you the desired relief.

The following though may help you in the meantime:
1. Do a cold compress (ice) on the area of injury.
2. Avoid any wrist movements - driving or typing work - till proper diagnosis is made.
3. You can use a crepe bandage for support.
4. Some analgesics like paracetamol pain relief which is available over the counter can help a bit. You may get some oral analgesics prescribed by your doctor.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health and speed recovery.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor