Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Twisted hamstring. Sharp pain at the back of knee, cannot stretch. Applying violini. Anything else?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
Hello Doc ,

My name is Arun & im 34 years old , I weigh 94kgs and my height is 5'11''.
It's seems like i have twisted my hamstring ( not sure) while exercising , I have this sharp pain at the back of my right knee , while I can walk , i have been facing discomfort while i stretch my leg or while turning my leg to the left , i havent taken any medication so far apart form applying pain relief ointments (Volini). Can you please advise
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

You seem to be most probably suffering from mild hamstring injury. Muscle stiffness, soreness and tightness in the back of the thigh, swelling, discomfort when moving the leg all point towards injury.

You can apply Volini gel to the area. In addition, I also suggest:
1. Try to rest the injured muscle. Rest for up to two or three weeks would be needed before you can return to exercising.
2. Rest, apply Ice and Compression. Elevate the leg if possible.
3. Over the counter anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen can be helpful to reduce pain and inflammation.
4. A stretching program can be started as soon as the pain and swelling subsides.
5. A crepe bandage can be applied to provide support as the muscle heals.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor