Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Twisted ankle and now swollen. Feeling difficulty to walk. Should I consult a doctor?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Question on my sprained ankleOn Friday at 11pm, I twisted my ankle bad and now its swollen and has been for few days and I cant walk very well on it and my pain is on the top of my ankle and on the side and shooting up my leg. My question is should I see a doctor and is their anytging they can do to help me. I am confident it's sprained though.
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

For sprained ankle first line of treatment is Rest, ice fomatation, compression by crepe bandage and elevation of foot.

Sprained ankle reguire thorough clinical examination for severity. x-ray may be required to rule out any avulsion fracture and sometime MRI required to confirm the grade of ligament tear.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Twisted ankle and now swollen. Feeling difficulty to walk. Should I consult a doctor? 45 minutes later
thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again.

Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor