Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Twisted ankle. Noticed swelling and bruise. Getting burning sensation in calf muscle. Is this normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
sprained ankleI twisted my ankle on Christmas eve ( 8days ago). and the pain wasn't extreme but it was there.. swelling almost immediate. after physician's exam, he said it was a level 3 sprain. I am not sure what that means. there was a lot of XXXXXXX bruising , but now I have a red area, right on the ankle Bone. it is the size of a half dollar and I have a burning sensation traveling up my calf muscle. I also am having hot and cold sensations in my foot that are usually followed by a tingling feeling. I need to know if this is normal.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Level 3 sprain means that the ligaments has been teared off. Such sprain sometimes should be treated with surgery (especially when the peace of bone has been teared off with the ligament). That is why, you should have an X-ray performed when you have visited your doctor.
Calf pain, calf burning, hot and cold sensation indicate some inflammation. It can be veins thrombosis (if you have not been prescribed with anticoagulants). With this condition, the calf gets hard and tender in touch, and painful when pressing it. Also when you flex the ankle (if possible with your trauma) downward with your knee straighten, you should feel the pain.
Another reason of your symptoms can be heamatoma which has gotten infected and an abscess creating.
You should definitely visit your doctor again as both conditions do need medical attention.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor